मत्स्य स्वास्थ्य प्रबंधन प्रभाग
मत्स्य स्वास्थ्य प्रबंधन प्रभाग
- To conduct basic, strategic and applied research on freshwater fish diseases, their diagnosis & control
- To enhance aquaculture productivity through application of environment friendly microorganisms
- To provide training and consultancy service on fish health management in aquaculture
Important Activities of the Division
- Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) in Fisheries and Aquaculture system and "One Health" studies.
- Assessment of fish health status, disease prevalence and economic loss due to disease in different freshwater fish farms.
- Cataloguing of various drugs , chemicals, antibiotics, probiotics, microbial preparations used by farmers in freshwater aquaculture.
- Nanotechnology in aquaculture
- Monitoring national fish disease outbreaks and serological screening of diseases
- Development of vaccine using molecular techniques
- Molecular characterization of important bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi
- Application of probiotics in aquaculture
- Immunity and immunomodulation in fish
- Standardization of cell culture of Carps
- Repository of pathogenic bacteria and immuno diagnostic reagents
- Isolation and characterization of bacteria associated with nutrient cycles and bioremediation
- Biodiversity and identification of microorganisms important to aquaculture
- HRD, training and awareness programmes for fish farmers/ entrepreneurs on different aspect of fish health management and prudent use of drugs and chemicals in.
- AMR laboratory
- Animal Challence Facility II
- Bacteriology Lab
- Environmental Microbiology Lab
- Histopathology Lab
- Immunodiagnostics Lab
- Immunology Lab
- Molecular Diagnostics Lab
- Mycology & Parasitology Lab
- Nanotechnology Laboratory
- Pathology Lab
- PCR laboratory (Fish Health)
- Probiotics Lab
- Small Animal house
- Wet lab Challenge Facility
Provide Consultancy and Advisory Services to
- Various State Govt. Fisheries Departments
- Private aquaculturists
- Various Trainees
List of On-going Institute Projects
|01||Development of suitable prophylactic and control measures for health management in challenged freshwater aquaculture systems in India||S. S. Mishra||2018-21|
|02||Identification and characterization of organic compounds from medicinal plants for the control of diseases in freshwater||M. Samanta||2018-21|
|03||Isolation and characterization of heterotrophic ammonia oxidising bacteria (AOB) and their application in aquaculture||Pushpa Choudhary||2019-22|
List of On-going Externally Funded Projects
|#||Project Title||PI||Duration||Funding Source|
|01||Network program on assessment of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in microorganisms associated with fisheries and aquaculture in India||S. S. Mishra||2018-21||ICAR|
|02||Harmonized one health trans-species and community surveillance for tackling antibacterial resistance in India||S. S. Mishra||2019-20||BIRAC-DBT with INCLEN Trust International, New Delhi|
|03||Development of novel immunopotentiator molecules from fish host and pathogens for broad spectrum disease control in freshwater aquaculture||P. K. Sahoo||2011-21||ICAR|
|04||C.R.Edit – Crispr/Cas9 edition to test and control genes implicated in influencing Aeromonas disease resistance in carp and salmon||P. K. Sahoo||2019-2022||DST (Indo-Norway Project) NOFIMA|
|05||Intellectual Property and Technology Management (IP & TM) (renamed as “ National Agriculture Innovation Foundation (NAIF)”-Component-I||P. Swain||2015-20||ICAR|
|06||Bioprocessing of fish wastes for productive end users||S. P. Mohanty||2018-21||DST, Govt. of Odisha|
|BIOCARE Scheme of the DBT for Women Scientist Scheme (Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India)|
|07||Encapsulated adherent putative lactic acid bacteria as dietary probiotic supplement with optimized feeding regime for Indian major carp, Labeo rohita||Usha Jyoti Maji
|2019-22||Dept. of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology|
|Emeritus Scientist Scheme|
|08||Characterization of gut microbiome of Labeo rohita : A step towards manipulation of bacterial communities for enhancement of productivity in aquaculture system||N. K. Maiti||2018-21||ICAR|
Brief Research Achievements
- Survey of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) was carried out in different freshwater fish farms and culture system in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh and antibiotic resistance profile studied.
- Assessment of fish health status, disease prevalence and economic loss due to disease in the states of Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand & Chhattisgarh has been carried out.
- Cataloguing of various drugs , chemicals, antibiotics, probiotics, microbial preparations used by farmers in freshwater aquaculture in the states of Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Jharkhand & Chhattisgarh has been carried out.
- Molecular diagnostics for Koi Herpes Virus (KHV), Spring Vireamia of Carp (SVC) developed
- A. hydrophila Sub-unit vaccine using OMP-C & ABC transporter binding protein developed and now under trial in carps
- Recombinant DNA Vaccine against Edwardsiella tarda : under trial
- The recombinant RdRp protein of prawn Noda Virus (MrNV): anti-vial & immunostimulant in M. rosenbergii
- Dot-ELISA & Spot agglutination kit for Edwardsiellosis, Aeromoniasis and Bacterial gill disease of Indian major carps
- Synthesized Nano-particles viz. FeO, MgO, CuO, ZnO, Se, Al, Au, Ag and Ag-TiO2 : Antimicrobial, immunomodulatory, growth promoting and water remediating activities evaluated
- Role of TRLs in innate immunity in divergent fish species studied
- Allele mining of bacterial hsp60 & hsp70 genes and genotyping of bacterial isolates being carried out
- Lactic acid bacteria used as Probiotics in IMC found effective
- Effect of abiotic stressors on the physiological responses of Catla catla, Channa striatus and Clarias batrachus, are being studied
- Documented AMR profile analysis seven index bacteria species (S. aureus, E. coli, Klebsiella sp., Pseudomonas sp., Enterococci sp., Acenatobacter sp., & Salmonella sp) in fish, pond system and source water in Puri and Khordha districts, Odisha.
- Conducted various Field level Training and awareness programmes for responsible aquaculture and prudent use of drugs and chemicals in freshwater aquaculture.
|Credits to the Division|
|ASM-IUSSTF- Indo-US Research Professorship in Microbiology||01|
|DBT Overseas Fellowships||02|
|BOYSCAST (DST) Fellowship||01|
|ICAR National Fellowships||02|
|National level trainings conducted||27|
CIFAX: Prevents and cures ulcerative diseases of freshwater fishes.
CIFACURE: For bacterial and fungal diseases of ornamental fish
Immunoboost-C: Improves brood fish health and seed survival in carps.
- Male-specific protein of Labeo rohita Ham. – A key for sex differentiation and brood stock management.(P. Swain et al.,)
(Patent No. 252072, Date 24.04.2012)
- A Method of producing antibacterial extracts from freshwater algae, B.K.Das et al.(Application No. 749/KOL/2011)
- A process for differential sero-diagnosis of Gram-negative bacterial infections(P. Swain et al., Patent application No. 1403/DEL/2003 dated 12/11/2003)
- A Competitive ELISA for diagnosis of microbial infections in Indian major carps.(P. Swain et al., Patent application No. 1402/DEL/2003 dated 12/11/2003)
- Method for identification and differentiation of Argulus siamensis and A. japonicus,(P.K. Sahoo et al., Patent application no. 1108/KOL/2013 dated 26.09.2013)
|Publications of the Division|
|International research publications||153|
|National research publications||187|
|Seminars, Symposia and Workshops||17|