क्षेत्रीय अनुसंधान केंद्र, विजयवाड़ा
ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture
Fish Seed Farm, Penamaluru, Poranki Post,
Vijayawada – 521 137, Andhra Pradesh
Phone & Fax: 0866-2980002; Toll Free No: 1800-425-6675
Regional Research Center, ICAR-CIFA, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh has started functioning as Operational Research Project Center in 1995 and consequently upgraded to Regional Research Centre in 2002. The center is conducting research and extension studies in freshwater aquaculture in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana states. It has also carried out research studies on plastic lined horticulture farm ponds in Maharashtra, Prospects of fish culture in acidic soils in Assam, Road map studies for development of aquaculture in Bihar and Jharkhand states. Regional Research Centre, Vijayawada received Team Research Award, ICAR along with Fish Health and Management Division, ICAR-CIFA in 2004. Hatchery establishment and seed production technology of Pangasianodon hypopthalmus developed by RRC, Vijayawada was rewarded with Technology Release by ICAR in 2013. Further, it is designated as Technical Partner of Government of Andhra Pradesh for aquaculture in 2020.
- Basic and applied research for the development of sustainable freshwater aquaculture systems in the Andhra Pradesh and other assigned regions.
- Technological and Socioeconomic advancement of the farmers in the region through implementation of innovative, diversified, sustainable and environment friendly farming practices in freshwater aquaculture.
- Impact assessment and compatibility studies on diversified species in freshwater aquaculture.
Focal Research Areas
- To promote sustainable and eco-friendly freshwater aquaculture practices in the region.
- To propagate environmentally sustainable technologies and bio-fertilizer application in Freshwater Aquaculture.
- To assess sustainability of diversification of species and demonstration of innovations in Freshwater aquaculture
- To implement technology transfer through on farm trainings, provide extension and technical services.
- To evaluate and disseminate innovative production technologies with regard to Freshwater Aquaculture.
Ongoing and completed project details
|Impact of exotic fish species farming on sustainability of carp culture in Andhra Pradesh||Ramesh Rathod||2019-2022|
|Comparative studies on primary productivity and plankton communities with reference to fish production and productivity in different fish farming systems in Krishna- Godavari delta, Andhra Pradesh||B. Seshagiri||2016-2019|
|Development of low cost feeds for Macrobrachium rosenbergii culture||P.V. Rangacharyulu||2014-2017|
|Studies on IMC and diversified fish species culture systems in Andhra Pradesh||P.V. Rangacharyulu||2010-2013|
Externally Funded Projects
|Upliftment of Tribal community through scientific adoption of aquaculture technologies for the improvement of their livelihood and socioeconomic status in selected districts of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana states.||Ramesh Rathod||2016-2019|
|Risk and Benefit analysis of illegally introduced species Pacu : Piaractus brachypomus in India.||B. Seshagiri||2014-2018|
|Establishment of hatchery and seed production facilities of striped catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus) in Andhra Pradesh.||B. Seshagiri||2011-2016|
|Development of Better Management Practices for striped catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus) farming in India||B. Seshagiri||2011|
Future Thrust areas
- Impact and Assessment of sustainable freshwater aquaculture in Andhra Pradesh
- Diversified species, compatibility levels and risk analysis studies in freshwater aquaculture
- Development of broodstock and seed production technologies for finfish/shellfish species
- Evaluation studies in advances in Aquaculture production systems and
- Socioeconomic and livelihood opportunities for women community groups and fishers through implementing entrepreneurship programmes
- Capacity Building Programmes for Technicians, Officials, Fishers and Fish Farmers.
- Better Management practices for culture of striped catfish (Pangassainodon hypopthalmus)
- Breeding and Seed production of Striped Catfish (Pangassainodon hypopthalmus)
- Low cost feed for Freshwater Prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii)
- Grow out and nursery rearing technologies for carp culture
- Processing technologies for production of Bio-fertilizers and Fish hydrolysate (FAA) using aquaculture and fish wastes.
Training programmes conducted
|#||Title||Venue and Date||No. of participants|
|SCSP training programme conducted on Scientific fish farming and management of freshwater aquaculture||Kuchipudi, Guntur District, A.P.
25-27 February 2020
|DBT Training cum demonstration on fish breeding and seed production through FRP hatchery to the Tribal fishermen community||Ashuvarigudem, Bhadradri Kothagudem district, Telangana
18-21 September 2019
|DBT Training cum demonstration on fish breeding and seed production through FRP hatchery to the Tribal fishermen community||Nagarjuna sagar, Guntur District, A.P.
29-31 July 2019
|Training cum demonstration on ornamental fish farming to the tribal women SHG’s at during||Ramanakkapet, Ashwaraopet Block, Bhadradri Kothadudem Dt. Telangana
17-19 January 2019
|NFDB Skill development programme on Fish species diversification and production systems in Andhra Pradesh under||Kalidindi, Krishna Dist. A.P.
26-28 December 2018
|DBT Training programme on carp breeding and seed production through FRP carp hatchery technology to the tribal fishermen||Peda anupu village, Guntur Dist., A.P.
5-7 October 2018
|Training programme on fish breeding and Nursery management technology to the tribal fishermen||Jettivarigudem, Bhadradri Kothadudem Dt., Telangana
27-29 September 2018
|Training cum demonstration on ornamental fish breeding and culture practice to tribal women SHG’s||Regulamanyam, Guntur District, A.P.
15-17 September 2018
|Training programme on carp breeding and seed production through FRP carp hatchery technology to the tribal fishermen||Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh
27-30 July 2018
|TSP training programme conducted on Fish Hydrolysate to tribal fisherwomen||Machilipatnam, Andhra Pradesh
Significant Achievements in last five years
- Establishment of Hatchery and Seed production facilities of striped catfish, Pangasianodon hypophthalmus in Andhra Pradesh.
- Risk and benefit analysis of introduction of invasive species Piaractus brachypomus in freshwater aquaculture in Andhra Pradesh.
- Ecological impact of culturing Litopenaeus vannamei in freshwater.
- Primary Productivity and Plankton Communities with reference to Fish production and productivity in different fish farming systems in Krishna-Godavari Delta
- Developed methodologies for processing of biological waste and generation of bio-manures and liquid manures.
- Application biofertilizers and bacterial fertilizers for enhancement of aqua production.
- Adoption of Jayanti Rohu culture through demonstrations in Andhra Pradesh.
- Evaluation of alternate feed resources for sustainable aquaculture production.
- Conducted disease diagnostic surveys and surveillance studies in Andhra Pradesh.
- Studies on alternate species culture systems (Pangasius and Murrels)
- Training programmes on various aspects of freshwater aquaculture to the fish farmers, fishermen co-operative societies and women self help groups.
Contact person with phone no/whatsapp no and E-mail:
Dr. Bandla Seshagiri
Pangasius Hatchery complex
Farm facility at RRC, Vijayawada